On our last day we drove to Rotherhithe to see the Brunel Museum and the great entrance hall of the tunnel under the Thames built by the Brunels 1825-1843. (The Rotherhithe Tunnel shown on this map is a road tunnel built in 1908.) The original Rotherthithe entrance of Brunel's tunnel was at the site of the current Brunel Museum, and the present Wapping Underground station was the north end of the tunnel. Later, when the tunnel was converted to railroad use, the tunnel was extended to the present Rotherhithe Underground station.
February 21, 2014